During their patrol, officers of Fengzhou Police Station of Fengyuan Precinct noticed a motorcycle parking in front of a farmer resting place in an alley near Fengzhou Village of Shengang District. Feeling suspicious, the officers got off their car to check and found that a man was injecting drugs there. Shocked to see the police, the suspect could hide nothing but admitted that he had committed crime of drug injections.
Police officers took the suspect to police station for further investigation and found he is listed as someone who may harm society and someone in need of regular drug urine tests. He admitted that he owned the syringes and needles for injecting heroin. Thus, he has been charged in violation of the Drug Control Act.
Criminal liability related to drugs:
(1) Those who are involved in the manufacture and trafficking and sale of drugs shall be sentenced to five years in prison at the minimum and death penalty or life imprisonment at the maximum.
(2) Those who possess drugs for sale shall be sentenced to three years in prison at the minimum and life imprisonment at the maximum.
(3) Those who unlawfully force or threat or deceive other people to use drugs shall be sentenced to five years in prison at the minimum and death penalty or life imprisonment at the maximum.
(4) Those who lure others to take drugs shall be put into jail for a period between six months and ten years.
(5) Those who sell drugs shall be sentenced to less than seven years in prison.
(6) Those who inject drugs shall be sentenced to less than five years in prison.
(7) Those who possess drugs shall be sentenced to less than three years in prison.
Harmful effects of drug abuse:
(1) Drugs impact brain nerves. Drug addicts will gradually increase dosages and take excessive amounts without knowing it. When a drug addict tries to terminate or reduce the use of drugs, he/she will suffer from such symptoms as tearing, yawning, vomiting, abdominal pain, cramps, restlessness, and a strong desire for drugs.
(2) If a person continues to take drugs, he/she may become drug addicted for the rest of his/her lifetime. His/her health will be seriously affected and face many problems, such as unemployment, difficulty in finding a new job, friend alienation, marital breakdown, broken families, low self-esteem, and difficulty in adapting to society. He/she may even use violence to rob or steal money to buy drugs, causing serious social problems.