Go To Content
Current Location Home > Main Tree > Service > Vehicle Information
  • print
  • Go Back

Renting/Leasing Vehicles

Buying a new or second-hand car or motorcycle in Taiwan is relatively easy,
provided one holds a Alien Residence Certificate (ARC),
which is also necessary to obtain a local driver's license. For non-Chinese speakers,
it is advisable to bring a Chinese speaker to assist in purchase negotiations.

Mandatory vehicle insurance is relatively inexpensive and can easily be arranged
via most car dealers, a vehicle inspection office, or one of the many insurance
company branches. All four-wheeled are taxed annually (based on engine size)
and inspected every six to 12 months, depending on the age of the vehicle.
Motorcycles are also taxed, must be insured and are required to undergo exhaust
emissions checks (available at many motorcycle dealerships), usually on an annual basis.
Driving an uninsured or past-inspection vehicle vehicle can result in hefty fines.


  • Data update: 2018-11-13
  • Publish Date: 2015-02-11
  • Source: Transportation Bureau
  • Hit Count: 383